Thursday, January 7, 2010

Life Without Cooking

I haven't had many chances to cook a real meal in the past month. December is often like that because of finals and the holidays. My mom does the cooking (even though she hates doing it), and I do the eating. I had been looking forward to the chance to try some new recipes once the new year started, but instead I opened 2010 with a case of food poisoning. It only lasted a day and a half, but I haven't had what I'd consider a "real meal" (grain + vegetables + protein) since then. Tomorrow I head to Dallas for a wedding, so I won't be cooking for myself until next week. For now, I'm occupying my spare time by fantasizing about what I'll cook myself. I might fall back on an old staple like my tofu kale bowl, or try something new from one of my 3 new cookbooks: World Vegetarian, 3o-Minute Vegan, or The Modern Vegetarian Kitchen.

While fantasizing about food and reading about anything food related online, I came across an article by Roger Ebert. A surgery left him unable to eat or drink, and he writes about his memories of food and what he misses the most. Take a look at the article- it's a good read: http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2010/01/nil_by_mouth.html

No comments:

Post a Comment